Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Would I Come Up And Say Hi?

There are a lot of blogs I follow, where the bloggers have their names and photos up on their blog or profile or both. Some I am friends with, some not. So what if I was walking down the street and saw one of these people? What would I do, especially if I am just a reader of their blog, maybe even a lurker?

I have read about two instances where bloggers were accosted by readers of their blog, and that took them by surprise. One did not acknowledge being the blogger, the other did, but was caught by surprise and not quite sure about how to handle the situation. Considering the fact that I blog anonymously, or atleast I like to believe I do, and I don't have my recognisable photos up on the blog, I doubt, someone I don't know would recognise me as 'goofy mumma' while I walk down the street, however, how would I feel if they do? I write my blog freely and openly, a lot of what's in the depths of my heart surfaces in this space, things that I may not sit and talk about with people I know. And then up pops someone who reads all of this, and says a hi. How would I feel? Unnerved I think, unprepared, and I would not know which way to look. A lot of compliments from the reader, might make me all blushed, and gushy and happy though. (Just a hint for anyone who spots me somewhere.) However the point is would I go and say hi to a blogger I read, who is not too aware of my existence?

Earlier, maybe a year back, my reply to this would have been a vehement yes. Of course I would. I read the blogs that I love, the bloggers I read are the ones whom I hold in high esteem, for some reason or the other, they are great writers, I enjoy their writing or their posts are inspiring, motivating, some I read because they always make me smile, but whatever the reason, I really do love those , and that is also the reason I keep updating/editing my blog roll, because I don't keep blogs which give me no joy. Seeing one of them would be like spotting a celebrity, and I would be too happy to find words for a bit, but beyond that, I don't know what I would do. Being me, with my foot-in-the-mouth issues, I would possibly still just go and jump up in front of them, but now atleast I know, that maybe it would not be a very acceptable/cool thing to my beloved blogger. But it may just not be in me to act all cool, and pretend like I don't recognise the person at all. In fact, all through my stay in Bombay, each time I ventured out, I hoped I would catch a glimpse of one of those lovely Bombay bloggers. No, did not happen, my sore luck! But, that is not the point of the post. The point is should I go and make conversation?

Prudence says I should not. And I think I will train my mind to not do that, even if I sneak in furtive, awe struck glances at them. Though our blogs are public, and for everyone to read, how many would appreciate a stranger walking down the street coming up and saying, "Hi! I know you from your blog." Not all of us, and having seen all kinds of people, I would think its better not to risk it, and lose the chance of remaining a regular interactive reader, or being stamped a stalker or a nut case, esp, since I can be very very profuse with my compliments. I think it would be better to watch from a distance, and feel happy, like having seen a celebrity. Keep the talk of blogs in the blogs, and the real world out and away from it, unless its a pre-decided meeting of friends. What would you do, if you saw one of your favourite bloggers walking down the street or in the mall or some place like that, someone you just know as a blogger, no more and no less?

13 comments:

mindspace said...

you know whats good about you.. you think.. :) my mind never goes into so many points you blog about.. but its interesting to ask myself what I'll do.. while i might be very clear about it, i never think of it.. so now that you have asked us readers what we will do.. I think i will just be fine with having seen a particular blogger n identified them from their blog.. in case, this person also reads me and might have recognized me, i will smile and i think that will be it -from my side.. further course of action/conversation would depend on how the other person reacts. & I dont know if I will mind or not if someone comes up to me and says hey i know you blog too, i hv read mindspace.. it will be a surprise but not sure of what kind...

MRC said...

Well, I'd like to go and say "Hi" to any blogger whose blog I've been lurking/commenting on regularly. The reason being,I dont comment unless something moves me very strongly,and even then I generally dont comment if it's something that would lead to an acrimonious situation.

As for someone recognising me and coming up to me to say hi,I really dont have a problem with it.Maybe because I maintain a very low profile,non anonymous,personal yet not personally revealing blog .Anyway the chances of such a thing happening to me are very very remote:).

Monika said...

u know what I agree with tara :) u think while i dont ;-) lol jokes apart having been in that situation u know its quite a mixed feeling, u certainly feel good and there is no denying that ok :D and its a little unnerving at that time and the other thing I have come to realize is that people who actually come up and say Hi mean no harm, they only are being freindly

but i am not sure whether I will go and say hi to another blogger... well it actually depends on how much they are trying to guard their anonymous status

Doli said...

oh I think I would like to go up and say Hi to them! I only read blogs which really impress me and would definitely like to tell that in person to the person concerned if they have put up pictures of themselves :)

hitch writer said...

Well well... I dont know... I really dont know what I would do... I dont think I would either smile or say hi...

that is if I just know him as a blogger and never interacted... meaning if i m a lurker.. I wouldnt say anything... dunno really... I though doubt the situation would transpire with me... as I interact with most... :P

Smitha said...

I agree with Tara too - You think of so many angles :)

To be honest, I don't know.. If I feel comfortable enough, I might go and say a Hello.. Not really sure, to be honest. But then again, if they have their pictures and are recognizable, they might not mind being recognized, you know, so there might be no harm in saying a Hello..

Reflections said...

LOL GM I've never thought of tht angle at all. Lemme think...
Nope I dont think I'll ever go up and say hello....leaving the fact that I dont recognise my own cousins if I dont see them for a few years. Jokes apart, I'd have so many doubts, from 'whether it really is tht person' to 'will tht person have a problem with me approaching them'. Quite honestly I have to admit, I dont have the guts but yeah if somebody approached me I'm cool about that....I'd even feel good abt it;-D

D said...

You should say hello to a blogger who you happen to spot out of blogsville. Why not? I would do it if I bumped into you :)

Solilo said...

If I am really close to the blogger then I would definitely go and say hello. Otherwise no.

BTW this absentminded me don't even recognize people in real life, I doubt if I will recognize the virtual ones unless they introduce themselves first. :|

Passionate Goof said...


Mindspace - Ha ha, to be more clear, I think about a lot of stupid things! :P think that would be the smart course of action. But what if you read that someone, and he/she does not read you, will you smile?

MRC - That is nice, even I would take that as my first reaction, going and saying hi, yet for some reason I am not sure I should. With your photo up on your profile, I am sure people who read you can recognise you!!

Monika - And look who's back after eons! True I think of stupid things. ;) I am sure it must be feeling good.... If you see someone who is not blogging anonymously, but you don't have intercation with, you would go and pop in a hi?

Doli - That is so forthcoming and sweet of you, but what worries me, is what if the person is not happy with the attention?

Hitchy - no? really? I thought you'd be one of the first persons to go and say hi.

Smitha - Yes, i am quite jobless. :P I am exactly where you are in my thoughts on this. :)

Reflections - I wish i had met you before leaving UAE, I really really so so wish I had. And yes, i will have those questions running in my mind too!

D - Would you, to someone who you don't interact with, except through maybe comments on his/.her blog?

Solilo - I completely get where you are, and I think that is the smart way of going about it.

shail said...

I agree with Solilo. But then I might just go and talk to a blogger who may not necessarily be a friend, but whose blogs I like reading. If I get a chilly reception too bad (for me!) :)
Personally I wouldn't mind anyone walking up to me and introducing themselves as a fellow blogger.

Monika said...

but I hang out here a lot PG its just that have been lying low with the commenting ;-)

and yeah if the person is not blogging anon i would probably go up and say hi and then carry the discussion forward depending on the response i get from them

sraikh said...

Hmm..I am putting myself in blogger being recgonized and how would I feel if someone came and told me where I bought XYZ because I read your blog and I know you have excellent sale nose :)

I would feel flattered I think and would love to know where she found me and how come the world is so small..:)

And in the other sense, I would surely walk to a blogger I recgonized if I have commented on..even if its just once.

:)