Friday, July 24, 2009

Thank God for Comic Relief

The coy looks, the magnificent set-up, the eye popping clothes, she could well be a princess having a real swayamvar. But on television it is truly a comedy par excellence. I cannot stop laughing, and its the best thing to watch to end my day, feeling happy and relaxed. Rakhi Sawant and NDTV have really shown the world, what true comedy can be, Rakhi Ka Swayamvar.
It is a reality show they say, and yet I can almost read the script they have all studied. I have no opinion about Rakhi Sawant. She is a girl, who dances and acts in bit parts, and bit clothes. She is smart enough to brand herself? Maybe, maybe not, and how is it any of my business at all? I am enjoying seeing her, I really am, and that is all that matters. There is enough spice for an Ekta Kapoor serial here, and I am sure a few of the guys from the show, will soon start appearing right there. The married man with three kids, the one who asked her about her physical relationships, the man who supposedly has a few girlfriends back home, the one who had a hot Russian girlfriend, they are all such spicy characters.
The hilarity of it all peaks during the dialogues monologues of Rakhi, about how she demands respect as a woman, for all women, and how she is sati savitri part duex. She speaks of every suitor, as her true love, and its when she eliminates one of them that her love for him is at its highest, and her heart breaks, because the true love of her life has betrayed/disrespected/used her. If nothing this girl knows what is expected of her, and is delivering what the channel needs to boost its TRPs, she is giving them, pure, unadulterated masaala. The masses, like me are obviously lapping it up, because it is just so purely funny. I have started liking the girl's guts to be honest. The confidence she has in herself, the intrepidity with which she lies or acts. It is definitely appreciable.I cannot help but admire the woman for her candidness, and ability to lie through her teeth, without so much as blinking. True showbiz material! But what I wonder now, is will she really marry one among the guys present? Is he a pre-decided one? Does she have a contract with the channel saying she has to get married to one of the suitors? Would they do a show on her break up then, when that happens? All questions to ponder about. In the meanwhile enjoy the fun, and women, drool over the clothes and accessories. And I wonder what will I have, to lap up on evening telly, when this show gets over.
[Photo Courtsey - http://media.photobucket.com/image/rakhi ka swayamvar]

12 comments:

Piper .. said...

:) everyone`s been talking of this show. I must watch an episode. Rakhi ofcourse is known to be a drama queen. But like you said, I have no opinion about her. I do not think of her at all. But I must watch an episode to see what`s the hullabaloo about :):)

Just call me 'A' said...

ok GM...here finally :). found the right link....

not seen this...would love to watch one episode at least. will go you tube hunting :)

Sraboney said...

Everybody's been blogging about this show...I haven't seen it but from what I've gathered, it is a mindless entertainer...Have fun watching it!

Shrutzz said...

Am simply enjoying the show to the "FULLEST". As you have rightly wriiten and stolen my words ( ;)); I want for the clock to strike 9 IST, since its just so relaxing-100% Natak at its best; lovely clothes and accesories and jujst have fun....wowww, these kinda of reality show is much needed, Am simply loving it....

am curious too...is she really getting married? Will they do a reality show on Break up?

I must admist, I love her after this SHOW!!!

Jai Ho Rakhi Ji!!!

Passionate Goof said...


Piper - Oh! You must, the drama is unparalleled. Scripted to the core, for a reality show, it is just great laughs!

'A' - Finally!! Have a dekho, its fun.

Bones - Its mindless, but a total laugh riot of the stress busting kinds!

Shruti - me too, me too! I am really wondering about that too. Lets see. the next episode seems to be another one with good masaala!

Anonymous said...

yeah, you either love her or hate her but definitely cannot ignore her... I enjoy watching it as well... Btw, check out this related news ! That would be an anticlimax!

http://www.bollywoodmantra.com/news/rakhi-sawant-won-t-get-married-to-the-winner/4573/

D said...

Rakhi's a total entertainer. Love her, hate her but you can't ignore her!

mummyjaan said...

I watched the first few episodes out of curiosity (recorded it on the skybox and sped through it at speeds varying from 6x to 30x, pausing for the bits that seemed interesting).

I nearly vomited at the fawning obsequiousness of the men - but I suppose it is a swayamvar after all. I actually had to watch the first 2 - 3 episodes before the realization dawned that it was - but, of course - scripted and not a 'reality show' at all. (Yeah, I'm probably slow that way).
Specifically, the 'dialogues' that came out of the married-man-with-three-children's mouth were utterly predictable. You could have lip-synched along with him.

The show hasn't sustained my interest, though, even for the comic angle.

Smitha said...

You watch it too :) Me too - and for exactly those reasons that you have listed :) It is fun - albeit mindless fun. Though sometimes, I do think Rakhi needs a reality check badly - especially when she claims that multi-millionaires would line up for her and things like that :) But yes, it is my regular dose of laughter :)

Passionate Goof said...


Rakesh - It has to be that way. All Indian shgows are rip offs. This one is of 'For Love or For Money'. She is so in-your-face, that it is fun.

D - Agreed!

Mummyjaan - No? I watch it, because of the fun really. Am hooked, worried about when it gets over. Its such a stress buster for me at the end of the day.

Smitha - She is a smart cookie, don't worry about her, she is raking in all the moolah she can. enjoy teh fun. ;)

Mamma mia! Me a mamma? said...

Aaahh! Another fan I see!! If anything is to be labelled entertainment, it has to be this!

It is howlarious!!

Passionate Goof said...


M4 - It so is!